Recent Content

  1. 2 years 11 months ago
    Written by Colin
  2. 2 years 11 months ago
    Written by Colin
  3. 3 years 2 months ago
    Written by Nicole
  4. 3 years 4 months ago
    Written by Nicole
  5. 3 years 4 months ago
    Written by Nicole
  6. 3 years 5 months ago
    Written by Colin

Paying for College With the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP)

The College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP), managed by the Office of Migrant Education (part of the U.S. Department of Education), provides considerable financial assistance for college for students who are migratory or seasonal farmworkers, or students who are children of these types of workers. The Office of Migrant Education reports that $16.4 million went into the program in 2011, funding 1,925 students at 40 campuses across the U.S.

Who is Eligible for the College Assistance Migrant Program?

To be eligible for CAMP, students must meet some specific criteria:

  • Must be a migratory or seasonal farmworker, or the child or dependent of a migratory or seasonal farmworker
  • Must be enrolled in the first year of undergraduate studies


What Kind of Financial Support is Available Through the College Assistance Migrant Program?

$750 to $4,000 of financial support is available for the first year of college.

What Other Services Does the College Assistance Migrant Program Provide?

CAMP is dedicated to seeing migratory and seasonal farmworkers and children of migrant families succeed in completing their college education. And the program seems to work in achieving this goal. In fact, a recent article in the New York Times reports that students at St. Edward's University, a school participating in CAMP, outperform their peers academically and have a six-year graduation rate of 62 percent -- this is considerably higher than the approximate 40-percent national average for first-generation immigrant students. To help migrant students succeed with college and stick with their education, CAMP offers many support services, including:

  • Counseling and help with college applications and class registration
  • Tutoring and skills workshops
  • Individual and group counseling to adjust to college life
  • Help with finding affordable housing and roommates
  • Health services
  • Supplemental financial assistance for books, supplies, student health services, transportation, etc.


Each school participating in CAMP operates differently, so not all services may be available at all schools, and some schools may offer additional services. Be sure to check with the schools you are interested in attending to see which specific benefits they offer.

Which Colleges Participate in the College Assistance Migrant Program?

U.S. Colleges and Universities that are receiving CAMP grants, or have received them in recent years, are listed below. Not all schools receive CAMP grants from the Office of Migrant Education for each grant cycle, so be sure to contact each college or university you are interested in to make sure they are funded for your first year of undergraduate studies.

  • Arizona Western College
  • University of Arkansas at Cossatot Community College
  • California State University - Bakersfield
  • California State University - Fresno
  • California State University - Long Beach
  • California State University - Monterey Bay
  • California State University - Sacramento
  • California State University - San Marcos
  • Santiago Canyon College (California)
  • West Hills Community College (California)
  • Metropolitan State College of Denver
  • University of Colorado at Aims Community College
  • University of South Florida
  • Barry University (Florida)
  • Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (Georgia)
  • Boise State University
  • University of Idaho
  • Kansas State University
  • Michigan State University
  • Mississippi Valley State University
  • Crowder College (Missouri)
  • University of New Mexico
  • New Mexico State University
  • The State University of New York at Oneonta
  • Ohio State University
  • Chemeketa Community College (Oregon)
  • Oregon State University
  • Portland Community College
  • Pennsylvania State University
  • Inter-American University of Puerto Rico
  • Our Lady of the Lake University (Texas)
  • St. Edward's University (Texas)
  • Texas A&M University - Kingsville
  • Texas A&M University - Laredo
  • West Texas A&M University
  • University of Texas - Pan American
  • University of Texas at Brownsville
  • University of Texas at El Paso
  • Texas State University San Marcos
  • Texas State Technical College
  • Central Washington University
  • Colombia Basin College
  • Eastern Washington University
  • Heritage College (Washington)
  • University of Washington
  • Washington State University
  • Wenatchee Valley College
  • Milwaukee Area Technical College


How Do I Apply for the College Assistance Migrant Program?

You need to apply for CAMP directly through the school you are interested in attending. Contact the CAMP office at each school for specific eligibility requirements, application deadlines, and procedures.

CollegeEducation411 Newsletter SignUp

* indicates required
Are you a student or parent?
Email Format

Connect With Us