Recent Content

  1. 2 years 7 months ago
    Written by Colin
  2. 2 years 7 months ago
    Written by Colin
  3. 2 years 10 months ago
    Written by Nicole
  4. 3 years 2 weeks ago
    Written by Nicole
  5. 3 years 2 weeks ago
    Written by Nicole
  6. 3 years 1 month ago
    Written by Colin

Scholarships and Grants for Spouses of Enlisted Military Service Members and Veterans

Military education benefits do not stop at the members of the military themselves. On this site you'll find plenty of information about grants and scholarships for dependents and grandchildren of military members and veterans. And here, we've compiled some sources of education funding for spouses and partners of military service members and veterans. If you know of other scholarships and grants available that we haven't mentioned here, leave a comment below and let us know. We'd love to include it!

Joanne Holbrook Patton Military Spouse Scholarships

The Joanne Holbrook Patton Military Spouse Scholarships are available to spouses of any military service member, including active duty, National Guard, Reserve, retired, or deceased. Funds awarded can be used to cover GED or ESL, professional certifications, pos-secondary schools, vocational training, and grad school. Recipients may attend school full or part-time, either in class on in an online degree program. For more information, visit:

Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to a Spouse

Military servicemembers may transfer unused Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to an immediate family member, including their spouse. If the servicemember has used some benefits, the remaining benefits can be transferred. For example, if they have used 6 months of benefits, the remaining 30 months of benefits can be transferred. To qualify to transfer benefits, servicemembers must have at least six years of service and must commit to serving at least four more years. Other eligibility criteria may apply. Consult the Department of Defense for specific requirements:

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)

Military spouses pursuing degree programs, licenses, certifications, or other professional credentials may be eligible to receive up to $4,000 of financial assistance toward their educational goals. For more information, visit the Department of Defense website:

Military Spouse Education Assistance from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Spouses of military members may be eligible for education benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs under the Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program, which provides up to 45 months of education benefits. Spousal benefits include degree and certificate programs as well as correspondence and online courses. For more information, visit the VA website:


CollegeEducation411 Newsletter SignUp

* indicates required
Are you a student or parent?
Email Format

Connect With Us